CMS Review of Drupal Commerce for Ecommerce SEO & Website Development
Released in 2001, Drupal is a multi-lingual, open-source content management system (CMS) that was originally authored by Dries Buytaert. Drupal is a "cross-platform" which means it can be used on Unix, Mac OS X, Windows or Linux, and being open-source, this CMS is free of charge along with access to any new updates.
Drupal for ecommerce, also known as Drupal Commerce, offers a number features for online stores. One the top advantages center on the ecommerce web development and design capabilities of this platform. Drupal enables users to customize the page layout. Modules play a major role in the Drupal's development, and there are over 15,000 free add-ons or "contrib modules' available. This feature essentially signifies the platform’s content management framework.
Ecommerce SEO Benefits of Drupal Commerce
Drupal Commerce offers many features to better ensure that your ecommerce website is well-optimized for the search engines. Some of these features include:
- Drupal allows for easy content generation and editing by different users, while minimizing any risk of duplicate content. Quality content leads to SEO. This is achievable because Drupal allows for the inclusion of books, blogs, forums, polls and comments.
- Users are able to write dynamic, SEO-friendly URLs, rather than settling with automatically generated URL's that provide no value for ecommerce SEO.
- Website loading speed is often a critical factor for ecommerce SEO. Drupal has feature throttling as well as caching lead to improve performance.
- Drupal offers internal creation of the XML sitemap.
- Internal linking is streamlined through the Drupal Commerce CMS and text links based links can be easily implemented.
Notable drawbacks include an administrator interface that can be intimidating and sometimes confusing for basic end-users. For complex ecommerce stores, using Drupal can be a steep learning curve.
Other CMS Features of Drupal Commerce
The Drupal Commerce CMS platform offers a number of other features. Below we have outlined some of the notable features of this platform.
- Users of Drupal Commerce have access to logging and statistics, and different users can create and edit content at the same time.
- Drupal Commerce allows users to perform advanced searches on ecommerce sites.
- The platform supports blogs, comments, books, polls and forums.
- Drupal Commerce has an intuitive, multi-level menu system for ease of use.
- The CMS offers support for OpenID.
- Because Drupal is open source, the platform offers community support (Drupal has a community of about 630,000 developers and users).
- Drupal Commerce supports RSS feeds and other feed aggregators.
- There are new release and security update notifications.
Drupal Commerce CMS is based on a powerful module platform. Overall, this is a pretty simple and straight-forward CMS for online stores with basic features for ecommerce marketing and search engine optimization.